November 2018 Newsletter • Your Idea. Our Solution.™
DCC® LANSCO is committed to providing high-quality pigments for the coatings, plastics, inks, and dispersions industries.
Highlights from this issue:
- How does 3GMX-SI compare to conventional BV pigments?
- REACH Registration Complete
- Pigments for Bio Based Food Packaging
- The Role of Plastics in Automotive Systems
- Download the latest NPIRI Pigments Raw Material Data Handbook
How does 3GMX-SI compare to conventional BV pigments?
See DCC LANSCO Yellow 3GMX-SI in action by watching the video below
For more information, click here.
NEED A SAMPLE?
Belinda DeSousa or Call Us at 1-888-452-6720
REACH Registration Complete
DCC LANSCO offers a broad colour palette of pigments worldwide. Following 31 May 2018 only those European suppliers with REACH compliance (registration or exemption) may be in commerce in the European Union (EU). To ensure the ongoing supply in the EU after 31 May 2018, DCC LANSCO has successfully acquired REACH registrations for all necessary products.
Please refer to our extensive selection of REACH registered products.
Pigments for Bio Based Food Packaging
Food packaging is used to extend the shelf life of goods going to market. However, plastics packaging is one of the main contributors to global waste. A happy medium must be met. Biodegradable bioplastics are becoming increasingly popular for this type of application – shelf life is extended and environmental impact is reduced. Win-Win!
Customers expect the packaging material to completely break down after use, including the colour components. Organic pigments used for colour food packaging are not biodegradable. However, natural dyes using animal extract (ie. Indian yellow from cow’s urine) is not a viable way to create commercial levels of coloured packaging. The organic pigments being used for bio-based packaging must have a maximum concentration of less than 0.5% in the final product.1
For more information on our organic pigments available for bio-based food packaging, please refer to our FDA compliant list.
The Role of Plastics in Automotive Systems
Plastics play a huge role in the automotive industry. Last year, USA, Canada and Mexico alone required almost 5.8 billion pounds of plastics and polymer composites, valued at $7 billion (or $416 per vehicle produced).2 According to a 2015 report by Plastics Today, we should see a 75% increase in this market by 2020.3
One of the biggest advantages of using plastics in the manufacture of cars, is for fuel efficiency. For every 10% reduction in the weight of a car, this saves approximately 5-7% in gas for the end-consumer.4 Furthermore, plastics allow for a longer vehicle life span (due to less corrosion), they are flexible when integrating components, and their parts are recyclable.5
There are approximately 13 types of high-performance plastics used in these systems, however the top three (making up 66% of the total amount of plastics in a car) are polypropylene, polyurethane, and PVC.6
- Polypropylene is a thermoplastic polymer used in a wide variety of applications including bumpers, chemical tanks, cable insulation, carpet fibres, and more.
- Polyurethane has exceptional durability properties and resistance to heat. It is used for foam seating, foam panels, cushions, and more!
- PVC is extremely flexible and flame retardant, making it suitable for pipes, doors, and panels.
Plastic are also used for the gears, center console, wheel covers, dashboards, electric insulation, car bodies, bumpers, displays, screens, and so much more!
With the use of more plastics in the automotive market, more colorants are also needed. We offer a broad range of high-performance pigments for plastics of all types. To browse these high-quality products for automotive applications, please click here.
NPIRI Pigments Raw Materials Data Handbook Receives an Update
The Color Pigments Manufacturers Association partnered with the National Printing Ink Research Institute to update the Pigments Raw Materials Data Handbook (Volume 4).
This is the only comprehensive reference source, extensively reviewed by industry technical experts, that offers in depth technical data and information on organic and inorganic pigments used in printing inks and coatings.
This edition includes:
- Up-to-date environmental, health and safety regulatory information
- High-resolution UV spectral graphics, chemical structures and technical data
- Updated list of pigment suppliers
Pre-Order Your Discounted Copy Today!
Click here to learn more.
Your Sales Representatives
Please contact your regional sales representative for more information on the products advertised here and any others in our product range. Please contact your regional sales representative for any product related questions!
- Jeff Babich, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rick Devore, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Larry Frank, VP Sales & Marketing Inorganic Pigments (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mark Freshwater, VP Sales & Marketing Organic Pigments (email@example.com)
- Paul Holder, Technical Sales Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Suzanne Letrondo, Technical Sales Representative Specialty Coatings DCC Monteith (email@example.com)
- Jon Morrison, Distributor Sales Manager & Sales Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bob Neu, Business Development Manager (email@example.com)
- Hani Sarhan, General Sales Manager (Canada) and Business Development Manager (North America) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Peter Baggen, Vice President Sales (email@example.com)
- Jon Rymer, Vice-President Strategic Business Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andy Fenlon, General Sales Manager EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) (email@example.com)
- Dominique Galy, Sales Manager, France, Spain & Portugal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bruno Krato, Sales Manager, DACH Region (email@example.com)
- Lieven Vandenberghe, European Coatings Industry, Coordination Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Matthew Brooks, DCC UK, European Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Prakash Naik, DCC UK, Head of Technical (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Julian Ling, DCC UK, Product Manager – Digital Inks (email@example.com)
- Patrick Chan, Regional Sales Director, Asia Pacific & LATAM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Effendi Wijaya, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (email@example.com)
- Yvonne Chang, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Haytham Sayed, Business Development – Middle East & Africa (email@example.com)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager, Puerto Rico (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Julia Guerinoni, Regional Sales Manager, North Latin America & Caribbean (email@example.com)
- Zully Villalobos, Technical Sales Manager, Latin America (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Do you have news worth sharing?
About DCC Lansco
DCC LANSCO® is a manufacturer and supplier of pigments for our customers in the coatings, plastics, printing ink and paper industries worldwide. Our extensive range of pigments is backed by technical expertise, our commitment to service excellence, continuous improvement, environmental, health, safety and social responsibility. Please visit www.dominioncolour.com for more information on our product range.
1 Carl Hanser Verlag. Kunststoffe international. 2014. Sustainable Solution for Coloration of Bioplastics. https://akro-plastic.com/fileadmin/akro- plastic/brochure/En_10_sustainable_solution_for_coloration_of_bioplastics.pdf
2 American Chemistry Council, Economic & Statistics Department. July 2018. Plastics and Polymer Composites in Light Vehicles. https://plastics-car.com/lightvehiclereport
3 Plastics Today 2015. https://www.plasticstoday.com/automotive-and-mobility/plastics-use-vehicles-grow-75-2020-says-industry-watcher/63791493722019
4 Craft Tech Industries 2018. http://www.craftechind.com/13-high-performance-plastics-used-in-the-automotive-industry/
5 Craft Tech Industries 2018. http://www.craftechind.com/13-high-performance-plastics-used-in-the-automotive-industry/
6 Craft Tech Industries 2018. http://www.craftechind.com/13-high-performance-plastics-used-in-the-automotive-industry/