October 2018 Newsletter • Your Idea. Our Solution.™
DCC® LANSCO is committed to providing high-quality pigments for the coatings, plastics, inks, and dispersions industries.
Highlights from this issue:
- Supply chain interruptions impacts availability of raw materials
- Quiz: How well do you know the inkjet market?
- Basket Mills: Creating high quality coatings
- Upcoming: China Coat 2018
- Featured Publications
Supply chain interruptions impacts availability of raw materials
This year we’ve seen significant increases in organic raw material costs as well as unplanned supply chain interruptions caused by the Chinese government closing down certain industrial zones as the country aims to improve environmental performance and compliance. This is impacting the organic supply chain in particular. Several raw materials have been affected, including Basic Red 1 dye (PR.189, PR.81), DCB (Diarylides), Dianisidine (PO.16), Naphthol AS components (PR.112, PR.170), AMBA (PR.146, PR.147, PR.184), VAT Blue 4 (PB.60) and more. As a result, we’re increasing the prices on select products throughout November 2018.
We understand that any price increase puts pressure on your business and we want to assure you that these increases are necessary for us to provide the level of quality and service you require from our global manufacturing footprint. We are doing everything possible to preserve our operational costs and will continue to explore other initiatives, including raw material recycling, balanced vertical integration and other programs to support our commitments to our customers, quality and the environment. If you have any questions about this price increase, please contact your local sales manager or agent for the full details. We value your business and appreciate your understanding as we work through these difficult business conditions.
Quiz: How well do you know the inkjet market?
Take this quick 4 question quiz to test your knowledge!
Creating High Quality Coatings
A widely used milling system in the production of coatings is the basket mill. The basket mill design allows pigments to be ground more efficiently when compared to traditional milling systems. The vertical vortex that is created pulls the paint through the basket and media, which reduces the particle size and disperses the pigment, resulting in high-quality, well-dispersed products with maximized yield. They are easy to handle and clean. These mills can reduce production time because they are very efficient high-performance mills, that work at variable speed.
In order for the basket mill to reach its full efficiency potential, foam and viscosity issues must be anticipated and managed. Foam is undesired during the production process and is generated when air is unable to migrate to the paint’s surface and escape. It can slow production time and make it difficult to maximise the vessel’s capacity, which results in a lower output. In order to speed up production, a defoamer can be used to reduce and ultimately eliminate the foam. Viscosity is of very high importance with a basket mill, as you want to be able to maintain the circulating flow through the basket and media. If the viscosity is too high, the paint will be too viscous to pass through the basket, resulting in poor dispersion and longer production time. On the other hand, low viscosity means the paint is too fluid and can also cause issues. Viscosity issues can be resolved by finding the optimal formulation in each individual vehicle system and also using the appropriate pigment loading.
DCC LANSCO has collaborated with other companies to better understand our customers coating systems, in order to deliver an optimized formulation to overcome these challenges. We receive samples and develop the formulation in our Technical Service lab before sending the feedback to our customers. We would love to help you optimize your manufacturing productivity. Please contact us if you have any questions about this and we would love to help you in any way we can.
Upcoming: China Coat 2018
China Coat 2018 is being held December 4-5 in Shanghai.
Please contact Karen White, Procurement Manager
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or one of your
local sales representatives to meet with us!
We look forward to seeing you there!
Manufacturing in Focus
Farbe Und Lack
Your Sales Representatives
Please contact your regional sales representative for more information on the products advertised here and any others in our product range. Please contact your regional sales representative for any product related questions!
- Jeff Babich, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rick Devore, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Larry Frank, VP Sales & Marketing Inorganic Pigments (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mark Freshwater, VP Sales & Marketing Organic Pigments (email@example.com)
- Paul Holder, Technical Sales Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Suzanne Letrondo, Technical Sales Representative Specialty Coatings DCC Monteith (email@example.com)
- Jon Morrison, Distributor Sales Manager & Sales Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bob Neu, Business Development Manager (email@example.com)
- Hani Sarhan, General Sales Manager (Canada) and Business Development Manager (North America) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Peter Baggen, Vice President Sales (email@example.com)
- Jon Rymer, Vice-President Strategic Business Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andy Fenlon, General Sales Manager EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) (email@example.com)
- Dominique Galy, Sales Manager, France, Spain & Portugal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bruno Krato, Sales Manager, DACH Region (email@example.com)
- Lieven Vandenberghe, European Coatings Industry, Coordination Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Matthew Brooks, DCC UK, European Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Prakash Naik, DCC UK, Head of Technical (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Julian Ling, DCC UK, Product Manager – Digital Inks (email@example.com)
- Patrick Chan, Regional Sales Director, Asia Pacific & LATAM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Effendi Wijaya, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (email@example.com)
- Yvonne Chang, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Haytham Sayed, Business Development – Middle East & Africa (email@example.com)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager, Puerto Rico (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Julia Guerinoni, Regional Sales Manager, North Latin America & Caribbean (email@example.com)
- Zully Villalobos, Technical Sales Manager, Latin America (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Do you have news worth sharing?
About DCC Lansco
DCC LANSCO® is a manufacturer and supplier of pigments for our customers in the coatings, plastics, printing ink and paper industries worldwide. Our extensive range of pigments is backed by technical expertise, our commitment to service excellence, continuous improvement, environmental, health, safety and social responsibility. Please visit www.dominioncolour.com for more information on our product range.
1 Forbes 2014. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/06/17/new-car-colors-that-boost-resale-values/#70d9f7659144
3 Forbes 2014. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/06/17/new-car-colors-that-boost-resale-values/#70d9f7659144