March 2018 Newsletter • Your Idea. Our Solution.™
Dominion Colour Corporation is committed to providing high-quality pigments for the coatings, plastics, inks, and dispersions industries. This month, we’ve compiled a few stories that focus on the trends in the pigment market right now.
Highlights from this issue:
- Challenges of the Pigments Market 2018
- How to Achieve Value in Use Through Enhanced Dispersibility in Polymers
- How do Colours Affect Your Mood?
- How does Rheology Affect the Performance of your Surface Coating?
Connect with Dominion Colour Corporation
Challenges of the Pigments Market 2018
Global forecasts of the pigments industry expect to see significant growth over the next few years, however the landscape is changing. Playing a huge role in this are the increases in raw material costs due to a global shortage of supply, as well as environmental regulations. Costs are expected to continue to increase during 2018. This has had a huge impact on the overall supply chain.
As a result, many companies including DCC are having to raise prices. In February, DCC increased prices on several mono azo and dye based organic pigments. Moving into March, we’ve now initiated a price increase for all Bismuth Vanadate (Pigment Yellow 184), Chrome Yellow (Pigment Yellow 34) and Molybdate Orange (Pigment Red 104) pigments that are utilized in the coatings and plastics industries worldwide.
Please contact your DCC® representative for more details.
How to Achieve Greater Value via Improved Dispersibility in Polymers
Given the increase in prices in the pigments market right now, everyone is looking for additional cost savings. One way to do this is to use high-performance pigments that consistently offer outstanding dispersibility. Why? Because these can provide cost savings. When a pigment has excellent dispersibility, this causes a lower pressure rise in the screen pack of the extruder. This translates to more time saved in production due to less downtime changing the extruder screens. If pressure builds in the extruder, a blockage can occur and will need to be replaced. Every time a screen needs to be replaced, it could generate up to 8 hours of manufacturing downtime, costing approximately $8,000*. Selecting a high-performance pigment with established dispersibility properties and low screen pack pressure rise is imperative in order to avoiding extruder downtime.
*calculated based on manufacturing CAD $2/kg gross profit at $500 kg/hr with downtime of 8 hours (costs may vary depending on process used)
How do Colours Affect Your Mood?
Products with Excellent Rheology
There are two pigments that have been engineered for coatings applications to have improved rheological stability compared to the market standards.
Contact DCC today to find out more information on high-performance pigments optimized for rheology.
Your Sales Representatives
Please contact your regional sales representative for more information on the products advertised here and any others in our product range. Please contact your regional sales representative for any product related questions!
- Paul Locke, General Sales Manager, North America (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Paul Holder, Technical Sales Representative (email@example.com)
- Suzanne Letrondo, Technical Sales Representative Specialty Coatings DCC Monteith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bob Neu, Business Development Manager, NA (email@example.com)
- Jon Morrison, Distributor Sales Manager & Sales Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Snezana Milanovich, Technical Sales Representative (email@example.com)
- Hani Sarhan, General Sales Manager (Canada) and Business Development Manager (North America) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- George Hughes, Integration Manager, Europe (email@example.com)
- Peter Baggen, Vice President Sales (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jon Rymer, Vice-President Strategic Business Development (email@example.com)
- Andy Fenlon, General Sales Manager EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dominique Galy, Sales Manager, France, Spain & Portugal (email@example.com)
- Bruno Krato, Sales Manager, DACH Region (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lieven Vandenberghe, European Coatings Industry, Coordination Manager (email@example.com)
- Matthew Brooks, DCC UK, European Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jack Eaton, DCC UK, Technical Sales Representative (UK & Ireland) (email@example.com)
- Prakash Naik, DCC UK, Head of Technical (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Julian Ling, DCC UK, Product Manager – Digital Inks (email@example.com)
- Patrick Chan, Regional Sales Director, Asia Pacific & LATAM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Effendi Wijaya, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (email@example.com)
- Yvonne Chang, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Haytham Sayed, Business Development – Middle East & Africa (email@example.com)
- Julia Guerinoni, Regional Sales Manager, North Latin America & Caribbean (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Zully Villalobos, Technical Sales Manager, Latin America (email@example.com)
Do you have news worth sharing?