July 2020 Newsletter: See the Difference We Make
Check out this month’s issue to learn about the following:
- August Webinar: Maximizing a Coatings Performance and Processing Efficiency with Proper Raw Material Selection
- Regulatory Updates
- Water-based Dispersions – An Evolving Landscape
- TSCA EPA/CDR Reporting
- Ajax: First Yellow Pigment comes off the NEW Organics Line this Month!
- DCL Core Values
Maximizing a Coatings Performance and Processing Efficiency with Proper Raw Material Selection
Having issues such as gelling, fading, flocculation with pigments in your formulation? We can assist you!
Join our webinar on August 12th (9:00 AM EST)! Our Technical Director in the USA, Jadel Baptista, will teach you about the proper selection of high-performance pigments for coatings. Panelists who will also be able to provide insight on the topic include Frank Lavieri, Mark Freshwater and Zeki Acar.
Jadel has put together a short sneak-peek video for all of you interested in how to select high performance pigments for coatings. Click on the video below to hear what he has to say!
Unable to join us this time? Do not worry! The webinar will be recorded and can be shared again in the future.
Water-based Dispersions – An Evolving Landscape
Written by: Nigel Smith (Global Technical Services Manager), DCL Corporation
Water-based dispersions have wide and varied uses to color everything from decorative paints to soap and door mats. They are easy to use and control, have wide compatibility, optimised strength and of course, no dust. However, technical and regulatory demands on dispersions are constantly evolving and therefore old ranges become obsolete and new ones are developed regularly.
A pigment dispersion typically consists of:
- Pigments – Provide color and opacity
- Surfactant – Holds the pigment in dispersed form
- Humectant – Keeps the system in fluid form and controls drying rate
- Additives – Viscosity modifiers/stabilizers/anti-foams to control the physical properties of the dispersion
- Biocides – to prevent biological growth
Although the dispersions themselves may only make up 10% of a final formulation, the impact of choices made in the formulation of the dispersion can trigger a failure to meet an environmental standard in the end application.
To learn about the challenges with water-based dispersions, click here!
Regulatory Update: TSCA EPA/CDR Reporting
2020 is a year that is marked for Toxic Control Substances Act (TSCA)/Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reporting, a requirement that must be completed every four years. The last reporting year was in 2016 that encompassed 2012-2015. This year will encompass 2016-2019. Reporting is done through the U.S. EPA’s Central Data Exchange website.
The main focus of the 2020 Chemical Data Reporting (CDR) requirements are:
1. All manufacturers and importers must review their activity involving chemical substances subject to TSCA to determine whether to report to the CDR.
2. A company must evaluate its manufacturing and importing activity in calendar years 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019
a. If manufacture and import is at or above 25,000 lbs. for a given chemical in any one of these four (4) preceding calendar years, then a company is required to report that chemical for the 2020 CDR.
b. In the case where a chemical is specifically regulated or proposed for regulation under TSCA Section 5, 6, or 7 (g., Section 5(e) Consent Order, Section 5(a)(2) SNUR, etc.), the manufacture and import reporting threshold is lower at 2,500 lbs.
The US EPA has recently amended the submission period from June 1, 2020 through November 30, 2020.
The Regulatory Team is preparing the reports covering DCL products including all legacy LANSCO and legacy DCC products to ensure compliance with our US TSCA reporting obligations.
In preparation for the CDR, the Color Pigments Manufacturers Association (CPMA) hosted a webinar with the US EPA. DCL was invited to participate and provide an industry perspective on the CDR process. For more information on this year’s CDR reporting please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com.
Ajax: First Yellow Pigment comes off the
NEW Organics Line this Month!
We are excited to announce that the first batch of organic yellow pigment was produced at our new Ajax organic line on July 15th, 2020! This will significantly increase our manufactured organics capacity and increase our ability to service our customers around the world. We would like to extend a huge thank you to those working diligently behind the scenes on this huge endeavor!
From Left to right: George Zafiris, Eugenio Duarte, Stephane Brunel, Dylan Milton, Dwayne Purcell, Kevin Brackett, Nick McInally, Helen Skelton, Yanyan Wu, Ling Jiang
DCL Core Values
As part of our re-branding initiative, we have re-vamped our mission statement and core values.
Making the world more colorful by providing high-quality pigments, dispersions, and exceptional service to our customers around the globe.
Environmental, Health and Safety: Protecting our employees, communities and the environment is fundamental to all that we do.
One Team: Treating others with respect and working together effectively towards shared goals are vital to our success.
Customer Centric: Fostering customer intimacy to exceed their expectations distinguishes us from our competition.
Growth Mindset: Building a performance-driven organization that challenges the status quo, continuously improves, and innovates, defines our culture.
Your Sales Representatives
Please contact your regional sales representative for more information on the products advertised here and any others in our product range.
- Jeff Babich, Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Rick Devore, Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Larry Frank, VP Sales & Marketing Inorganic Pigments (email@example.com)
- Mark Freshwater, VP Sales & Marketing Organic Pigments (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Paul Holder, Sales Manager, Canada (email@example.com)
- Suzanne Letrondo, Technical Sales Representative Specialty Coatings, Monteith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jon Morrison, Sales Manager (email@example.com)
- Bob Neu, Business Development Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hani Sarhan, General Sales Manager (Canada) (email@example.com)
- Peter Baggen, Vice President Sales (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andy Fenlon, Director of European Sales (email@example.com)
- Dominique Galy, Sales Manager, France, Spain & Portugal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bruno Krato, Sales Manager, DACH Region (email@example.com)
- Lieven Vandenberghe, European Coatings Industry, Coordination Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Raimund Wilhelm, Sales Manager, DACH Region (email@example.com)
- Prakash Naik, UK, Global Procurement & Business Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Laura Kenny, Business Development Representative, UK (email@example.com)
- Phil Conway, Sales Manager, UK (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cosimo Azzarito, Sales Manager, Italy, Key Account Manager Inks, EMEA (email@example.com)
- Patrick Chan, Regional Sales Director, Asia Pacific & LATAM (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Effendi Wijaya, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (email@example.com)
- Yvonne Chang, Technical Sales Manager, Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Haytham Sayed, Business Development – Middle East & Africa (email@example.com)
- Michele Claeson, Sales Manager, Puerto Rico (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Denis Rojas, Regional Sales Manager, North Latin America & Caribbean (email@example.com)
- Zully Villalobos, Technical Sales Manager, Latin America (firstname.lastname@example.org)
About DCL Corporation
DCL Corporation is a manufacturer and supplier of pigments for our customers in the coatings, plastics, printing ink and paper industries worldwide. Our extensive range of pigments is backed by technical expertise, our commitment to service excellence, continuous improvement, environmental, health, safety and social responsibility. Please visit www.pigments.com for more information on our product range.